Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
Need a copy of the Polar Kraft Owner's Manual? Now you can download it using this link! https://www.dropbox.com/s/spognuo4f1ujlg9/Polar Kraft Owners' manual.pdf

Interior Taupe Paint Color?

DanWDanW Posts: 11Member
I've got a couple of spots I need to touch up in my Dakota.  Is there a Krylon spray paint that closely matches the interior color, or is there a spray paint that can be purchased from the factory?

Comments

• offdonzboatoffdonzboat Posts: 48Member ✭✭
    edited June 2013
    I just recently bought a 2004 PK 165sc.  It is beige and green ( the latest PK brochure calls the beige/taupe color SANDSTONE ).  I guess that's the same as yours.  My house and shed are also beige, so I happened to have 3 different cans of spray paint that I've  tried to match up with them.  I needed to do a couple of bare spots on my transom, so I tried the Krylon 2504 Khaki gloss.  I think it's a bit dark to be an exact match.   I'll try to post a picture here - it's a spotty job I did but I think you can see the darker spots just above my test board.   So this morning I tried a better test a put up this test board with all 3 cans of paint.  You can see the Mfr. on the cans.  If you want me to give you the names of the other colors just comment on this board and I'll check.  I know the Amer Accent color is Taupe. 

Lowe's Valspar spray paints seem to have a lot of subtle variations in color - and I haven't really looked at them for taupes - maybe they have a good match.  I'll have to check when I get there again so I can do a better job on my transom.

Picture won't post on here.  I'll put it on the PK facebook page.  I think you can see it there even if you don't have a facebook account.

• DanWDanW Posts: 11Member
    Thanks!  I'll try and check it out on FB.
  • Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Posts: 75Member admin
    Hey Don...are you having trouble posting pics? Should just be able to click "Attach A File" at the lower left corner of the text box. 
    Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 10.21.25 AM.png
    396 x 219 - 134K
    edited June 2013
    imageThanks Capt. - I've been trying the IMAGE  icon 4th from the rt  top line - don't see "attach a file"

Any word from PK about the paint color ?????
    Hey Capt. Steve, I think the ATTACH FILE  at the lower left of the text box is on Facebook.   not the forum.        I think I'm off to Lowe's  today -  I'll try to remember to check for taupe spray  paint.
    Hey Don... trying clearing the cache on your browser...some folks have had issues with Attach A File not showing up until they did that. Here's a screen shot of what it looks like. I promise it's lurking here somewhere!

Double checking on the paint color now...

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 3.13.29 PM.png
    712 x 467 - 46K
    @offdonzboat @DanW ... here's the answer on the paint question from Alan in PK Customer Support: 

Touch-up paint can be purchased through your Polar Kraft dealer. You can get aerosol cans or quarts. Our paint is specifically made for Polar Kraft. There is not a paint code for our paint like they have in the automotive industry where they produce hundreds of thousands of units per year. Most automotive paint stores and body shops have a tool that will take a picture of the color and give them a formula for the particular brand of paint they use. I know DuPont has one, and so does PPG and Martin Senor. There are probably some hardware stores that might come close, but why waste all that time searching when you can get the exact color from the dealer?

Glad to see we can get the right stuff at the PK dealer - mine is about  miles away.  So just in case you want to give it a quick cover before you can get tot he PK dealer....

I did go to Lowe's. Valspar had nothing to match. But this Rustoleum looked good – PUTTY 7772.

Just after my 1st picture I tried those other lighter colors that I had – no good – and what a mess I made of it. Mineral Spirits took those off nicely but didn't impact the original paint at all – lacquer I suspect. So I added the Rustoleum Putty to my test and really liked it – did the transom with it and covered my spots etc. I don't think you can see any difference from the original so check this picture.  Sorry,   I can't get the pictures on here yet - but we're getting closer....  anybody else able to put a picture on a post ????