Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a copy of the Polar Kraft Owner's Manual? Now you can download it using this link! https://www.dropbox.com/s/spognuo4f1ujlg9/Polar Kraft Owners' manual.pdf

Turned the ingition switch and lost all power

offdonzboatoffdonzboat Posts: 59Member ✭✭

I have a Polar Kraft 2004 165sc. Yesterday on the river I ran up river warming up my Yamaha 50 (2stroke). Did a couple of hole shots/WOT checking a test prop performance ( boat is mine for 2 months only). Checked the trolling motor and new seating by fishing for a few minutes. Batteries at full charge when I left the house.

When I went to start the Yam. again I turned the key and all panel electronics immediately went off ( Humminbird etc.) So that was dead, no power to Yam. I looked for fuses in the main line and found 2 only ( 10 & 20 minifuses) both looked OK.  I'm assuming these are stock and what is suggested by PK but could be aftermarket or modified by previous owner - can anybody tell me what PK specs. for these fuses ?

I couldn't figure out what would take out everything - Yam. fuse shouldn't take out the other stuff, right ? I used the trolling motor back down the river to dock. Got my jumper cables from car and tried to jump the starter battery with the trolling mot. bat. that didn't do anything either. ??? So I'm working on this today - re-tightening everything, maybe swap batteries from my older boat. Have started recharging bat. , replaced fuses - the panel switch lights now light, but no sounds of power to the Yam.

I was looking at the wiring to the ignition switch - is there ever a circuit breaker at the ignition switch somewhere ? I don't see anything like that.. There is what looks like a sound speaker near it - is that some kind of warning device ? Can anybody give me some info on what should be connected to the ignition switch ? My other switches all have individual circuit reset buttons but not the ignition switch.

Thanks Don

Comments

• FerdFerd Posts: 6Member
    Check the fuses with a multi-meter. I have seen many instances where a fuse "looks" good, but until you get it on a meter you won't know for certain. If your meter has a button for continuity, put it on that and touch the leads to the leads of fuse. If it beeps, then the fuse is good. If not, replace the fuse but also try to find out what blew the fuse in first place. Hope this helps
  • offdonzboatoffdonzboat Posts: 59Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    I'm back from vacation and had no more incidents like above.    I did check the fuses with multimeter and they both tested good.???        I did replace them anyway but haven't reinstalled them to see if they result in problems.     I did make some other changes that I think made the difference:  The previous owner had some thin stainless steel quick-disconnect devices which slide over the lead posts on bat. -
    these I think were not giving the best contact - I removed them and went to connectors on the screw posts of the battery which I could tighten down and keep tight.   I contacted PK home and talked to Allen and he gave me the spec. on the fuses too (which were slightly higher than what was in there.)
    Thanks for your input Ferd.   
    By the way,   anyone who hasn't seen this type of fuse holder before ( as I hadn't before getting this
    boat in April ) here is a picture of the fuse holders which pull apart to reveal standard mini-fuses.
    asm brkr.jpg 17.6K
    Hey!  Only 61 days till spring !!!    I keep checking this forum - PK must be only for us northerners, we must all be hibernating.       Well, I just wanted to add a comment to this thread in case somebody else encounters a similar problem.    

So after checking the original spade fuses  (which were OK ) and marking them and putting them aside for several months ......    I just looked at them on my workbench yesterday.   I noticed that the actual aluminum contacts on them are not bright.  I wouldn't quite call them corroded, but they have that dull whitish suspicious color like old aluminum crud.   I just cleaned them up and now they're bright.   I'm wondering   if this could have caused an "open" break in the contact and looked like a blown fuse.  I'v'e never experienced this before with boats or cars - anybody ever hear of this?   Funny that it would occur only 1/2 hour after starting/running well.