Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a copy of the Polar Kraft Owner's Manual? Now you can download it using this link! https://www.dropbox.com/s/spognuo4f1ujlg9/Polar Kraft Owners' manual.pdf

Outboard Mounting Height

DanWDanW Posts: 11Member
I'm questioning the height at which my dealer mounted the 40 Evinrude Etec on my Polar Kraft 1778 WB.  When at speed, I cannot see the cavitation plate.  Every other boat I've had, along with my brother's Ranger and nephew's Alumacraft, when set up properly, had the cavitation plate clearly visible, when on plane and traveling at cruising speed. On my boat, however, I cannot see the cavitation plate.  I can only see the ridge that is a couple inches above it.  

My understanding is that having the motor mounted too low cuts top end speed, among other issues.  Am I right that you should be able to see the plate when the engine is mounted correctly, as long as there is no cavitation or prop slip?  

I'm not able to trim my motor up very much without porposing, unless I put people in the front.  I'm not sure if that is normal for a boat this light weight.  Also, my top end is barely 30mph.  I would think a 360lb boat with that 40 should be at least 33 or so mph.  Also, they equipped it with a 15 pitch prop, which makes for great hole shots, but again, I wonder if it could turn a 17 if the motor was mounted at the proper height.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  The difference between a bad behaving boat, a good one, or a great one, often boils down to the dealer's competence in rigging them.  My brother told me Ranger rigs all of theirs at the factory, because of this.  They don't want an ignorant dealer giving their boats a bad reputation.  I understand why a manufacturer wouldn't do this with a light, inexpensive aluminum boat.  It just wouldn't make financial sense like it does with an expensive boat like a Ranger.  

Btw, I owned two Trackers, and a Lund, and they also had developed standard mounting procedures for their range of motors.  All of the boats ran really well, were well balanced, and were able to trim through a wide range with no porposing. Again, I could see the cavitation plate when on plane and at cruising speed on all of them.

Steve, it would be great if you could check with the engineers on this combo.  I love the way it runs, and handles, but I think it could be better, faster, and have less tendency to porpose when trimming up.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Posts: 75Member admin
    @DanW ... sure...checking with Alan on this now. 

• Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Posts: 75Member admin
    @DanW ... here's the response from Alan in PK Customer Support: 

It is hard to tell if his engine is mounted correctly or not without seeing it, but there is not a lot of room for adjustment on his model. I feel that our dealers are very competent in rigging these, but he is always welcome to get a second opinion.

He has a utility hull with foam pods built into the transom and that affects performance. Yes, they are light in the front and proper weight distribution could be a factor for the porposing issue. Because it is a utility, performance wants and needs vary with each individual owner. A different prop might make a difference, but that is something he will have to play with.